Current Need Projects - From the Heart Stitchers
Richmond and Surrounding areas have a need for:
Baby hats and blankets. Hats must fit over the 5” ball at the shop and blankets should be approx. 34 – 36” square. Crocheted hats need to have a stretchy brim to enable putting on an infant’s head.
Dressed bears. (Bears are kept in the blue bin beside the side table as you enter the yarn hall. Take one or more to bring home and create clothing for them.)
Fredericksburg/King George has a need for:
Baby blankets/hats (new born and up). Again, the hats need to fit over a 5” Styrofoam ball. Crocheted hats need to have a stretchy brim to enable putting on an infant’s head.
Blankets for hematology/oncology … at least 32" x 48"
While we thank you for tagging items before you bring them to the shop, the Distribution Team has requested that, when tagging a folded blanket, that you tag one layer of blanket only as they need to determine the size of a blanket before decided where to send it. If blankets are folded and tagged through all layers, the tag needs to be untied and removed to determine the size and then re-tagged for distribution. Tagging one layer only makes the process one step faster for the team.
As always, please make whatever you enjoy making. We make the current needs known, not to say that they are something you must make but only to keep you ‘in the loop’ and give you the opportunity to work on these items should you wish to do so. We will find a home for anything you care to create (except cowls, for which we currently have no outlet). Whatever you make, thank you for your untiring efforts and dedication to From the Heart.
Project Sizes, Supplies and Ongoing Projects
As always anything you want to make we can really use to help fill the bins in the shop and warm the hearts and bodies of those in need.
- Chemo Hats for Guys and Boys
- Socks for the Homeless – prefer white, non - Wool socks. Tube socks work well (no heels to deal with!)
- Chemo Blankets/Shawls 30" x 48"
- Tie-ons blankets for Hospice/Palliative Care 27" x 36" (No fringe, w/72" tie I-cord or single chain using double yarn)
- Baby Blankets
- As small as a 24 inch square up to as large as a 40 inch square
- As small as a 24 inch rectangle up to as large as a 40 inch rectangle
- Children's blankets (for clutching or draggin') 24" sq up to 36" or 40" & not necessarily square
- Bone Marrow Transplant Unit blankets Large and COLORFUL! (Just enough to cover the top of twin bed)
- Home Again (Battered Women and Children's Shelter) large enough to wrap a small child in cold, drafty house
- Chemo Hats Small, medium and large sizes for both adults and children
- SPCA rounds or squares 15-18 inches up to 3 feet to fit crates using leftovers of mixed yarn, wool, blends, cotton or acrylics
- Squares 12 inches to be stitched together into blankets
- Infant Hats Preemies- not too small, should fit a large orange. Must be stretchy. Full term newborn to fit a large grapefruit.
- Layette Sets Used as "take me home" outfits for newborns.
- Bears and Toys New bears from Dollar stores, dressed with knitted or crocheted outfits. Given to sick, scared or needy children in ER, clinic, oncology, hospice and other areas.
Comfort Doll Project - Bring comfort to a child
Many children have never had a doll of their own! Many of us who have seen a sad child being comforted by a soft cuddly toy know the value this can have. Imagine how valuable a unique doll like this could be to a young child with a sick parent, one who has lost a parent or are sick themselves. Many of you have already given your time and talents. We are asking for your time and talent to knit or crochet a Comfort Doll and bring hope into the lives of children of Haiti.
We are hoping to complete as many as possible by August 1st. Our goal is 500 comfort dolls! Thank you in advance for your time, talent and efforts in making these unique dolls.
What a great way to use up all of your leftovers. The dolls are made in one piece, no weaving in of ends and then stuffed with fiberfill. Need Patterns? Click Here...
The need for blankets continues in several different sizes:
- Lap blankets 30" x 42"
- Large blankets 40" x 70"
- Blankets for babies